Here is an handy Paleo shopping list!
Here is the SCD Shopping List!
Here are the Weston A Price dietary guidelines!
Overall highlights of each diet/lifestyle discussed in this blog:
- Drink bone broth daily – Multiple times per day in the beginning while you are healing your gut lining. I add grass fed ghee or grass fed butter or extra virgin organic coconut oil to my broth in addition to 1-2 pastured egg yolks
- Pastured Organic Eggs (if tolerated)
- Take Cod Liver Oil and Fish Oil daily – Omega 3s are extremely beneficial for us
- Cook only with Coconut Oil and Animal Fats (Grass fed butter, Grass Fed ghee, grass fed animal fats or duck fat, etc) Grain fed animal fats are highly inflammatory and will prevent healing.
- Use Olive Oil for salads, etc (rancid at high heat)
- Limited fruits – fruit/sugar will feed the “bad” bacteria
- Coconut Butter (Delicious)
- Eat lots of fermented foods (sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented vegetables, milk kefir (if tolerated), homemade yogurt (if tolerated), water kefir, kvass, etc) Start slowly with fermented foods because you may have “die off”. We need to populate our gut with GOOD bacteria and this is essential to healing!!! We need to make sure we don’t feed the “bad” bacteria by eating sugars, grains, processed foods, etc.
- Eat grass fed meats – lamb, beef, bison (including organ meats if tolerated – highly nutritious) and wild seafood – Grain fed meats and farm raised fish (often corn fed) are highly inflammatory and will prevent us from healing
- Eat lots of organic vegetables – I mostly eat cooked vegetables
- Nuts and Soaked seeds if tolerated (after gut has healed)
MANY blogs/websites offer meal plans for Paleo/GAPs/SCD diet. Some will have a small fee to purchase.