Fermented Foods are foods that contain probiotics.
Due to antibiotic usage, drug usage, toxins in our environment, gluten in our diet, birth control pills, etc, our gut flora is compromised. As patients with Crohns and Colitis, we absolutely MUST repopulate the healthy gut flora in our intestines which will help seal the lining in our gut and stop the bleeding and diarrhea. In order for the gut flora to properly populate our gut lining, we must eliminate all the foods discussed on this post.
Add whole food probiotics** (You can make all of these probiotics at home or buy most of them too. There are many excellent videos on youtube as well as instructions on many blogs as well as info in the GAPs and SCD books)
- Raw Sauerkraut or Kimchi – I make my own at home now
- Raw Kombucha – I will likely make at home in the very near future
- Inner-Eco Coconut Kefir – 100 billion probiotic CFUs in each tablespoon
- Milk Kefir – If you can tolerate dairy – most of the lactose has been removed in kefir – I make at home with raw goat milk
- Homemade Yogurt – Start off slowly with yogurt – You may have “die off” – Approx 500 billion probiotic CFUs in each cup – I make at home with raw goat milk
- Water Kefir – I make at home with coconut water alternating with sugar water – Most of the sugar is “eaten” by the grains used to make the kefir.